Skip to main content

Review: Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout Shampoo


Hello there!
So I've been on the hunt for a shampoo to tame my wild hair for ages, so I picked up this during my recent Lush visit in hopes that it would help with my thick, coarse, dry hair.

According to Lush, this has:

  • Stout to calm: For all hair types but especially beneficial for fluffy, hard-to-manage hair.
  • Friend to all scalps: Yeast improves the health of the hair and scalp.
  • For a polished finish: Organic lemon juice is a gentle cleanser that adds masses of shine and gloss.
After using this for a little while now, I can say that I'm pretty much still on the fence about it. 

Pros: Though my hair is still a little frizzy, its definitely a bit better than it used to be. My hair is also softer to the touch and shinier. 

Cons: I've noticed my hair gets greasier a lot quicker since using this shampoo. I also feel as though it may be drying out my scalp, but it'll take a little more time to know for sure if its because of this. 



The smell: This is the part thats really got me on the fence. This shampoo has a really strong, usual scent; its a yeasty and sour smell, I guess from the stout and lemon in it. Its definitely not one of the common fruity or floral scents, and it won't be everyones cup of tea. I do notice that the smell is quite unpleasant ti me while washing my hair with it, but once your hair is dry it smells a lot better. Also, the smell will linger for a LONG time, so prepare to get whiffs of it long after washing and your pillow will probably smell like it too. 

I'd suggest if you're considering trying this shampoo for the first time to get a sample to see how you get on with the scent and if it works well on your hair. It is quite pricey in my opinion, the 100mL bottle was $9.95, however you do get your moneys worth because a little goes a long way (I've had 5 to 6 washes with it so far and I've barely used up half the bottle yet.) 

Overall, its a decent shampoo but definitely not holy grail status for me. I'm still not sure if I will be repurchasing this. 

Have you tried it? Planning on trying it? Let me know! 

Comments

  1. I've been wanting to try it, but thank goodness I read your blog before buying it. My hair is dry and brittle, yet around my roots, it's SO greasy, so I tend to steer clear of anything even remotely close to greasiness. :(

    Love the blog, definitely following.
    :)

    -Tori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this may not be the shampoo for you then! My hair used to be so dry, it took quite a while for it to feel greasy, but now I'm in need of a wash after about 2 days!
      And thank you so much! Love your blog as well, followed! xx

      Delete
  2. Hmm interesting. Thanks for this post! I've always wanted to try Lush shampoos but il be wary of this one. One thing that's a must for me with shampoo is a nice scent! Xx

    http://hipslikecinders.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the scent is definitely a love or hate kind of thing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The BEST and EASIEST Waffle Recipe! (Blogmas Day 9)

When it starts to get chilly out, I find myself making waffles pretty often. In fact, our Sunday breakfast usually consists of waffles of some kind. And in my house, I'm the designated waffle chef. I have the best recipe for waffles that are truly delicious AND any lazy chefs dream; its all done in one bowl, with ingredients everyone has in their kitchen. Literally foolproof and delicious. Perfect for Christmas morning! Makes anywhere from 8-12 waffles, depending on the size of your waffle iron. Ingredients:  2 cups of All-Purpose flour 1 tablespoon of baking powder 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar 1/4 teaspoon of salt 2 eggs (beaten) 1 teaspoon of vanilla (but you can add another 1/2 teaspoon if you want a stronger vanilla taste!) 1-3/4 cups of milk 1/4 cup vegetable oil Directions:  1) In a big bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar and salt) 2) Create a well in the center of your dry ingredients and add your wet ingredients 3) Mix

1 Year of Covid-19: A reflection

  It feels like just yesterday we were all feeling the anxiety and uncertainty of a new disease that was spreading quickly around the world that no one truly understood yet. We were facing the first wave of cases, the fear of going outside and being around people and the first round of quarantines and restrictions.  It feels like just yesterday, but also so long ago.  I, and I am sure many others, am feeling a mix of emotions.  Sad for the loss of comfort we once had. Grief for all the lives lost and permanently changed. Thankful for my health and that of my family. Gratitude for the scientists and frontline workers alike, working tirelessly behind the scenes I hope that one day we can return to a new normal. I hope that one day I'll be able to go to work and not feel  afraid  to get too close to my coworkers and patients. I hope that no one will ever again have to face the end of their lives all alone. I hope that no one has their life cut short because of an insidious virus that

Blogilates Beginner's Calendar 2.0: Review & Final Update

I've officially completed all 28 days of the Blogilates Beginner's Calendar and firstly, I have to say that I'm pretty damn proud of myself, because it was pretty difficult but I stuck with it until the end. And I had fun in the process! So, how much of a difference does this calendar really make? Does it work? Here are my final thoughts. This workout program really works, but you need to work at it too. If you're going to half ass the workouts, eat badly and skip days, you really won't see a huge difference. I really did my best to stick with it and work hard at it and I really have seen a difference. The thing about Blogilates that I enjoyed is that you won't just see a difference in your body, you'll see a difference in your mindset and motivation as well. Physically, since I began the calendar, I lost 10 pounds and I feel so much stronger than I was before. My muscles, especially my legs are so much more defined than they used to be. Cassey als